Are you a new or an existing Data Protection Officer (DPO) or are you wanting to move into the role of the DPO but not sure how to become a DPO, or are you just wanting to find out what the legal requirements and responsibilities are of the role, then this Data Protection Officer training course is for you.
You must have good understanding of Data Protection to attend this course, if you require an introductory course please book on our UK GDRP & Data Protection Training – All You Need to Know.
If you are seeking a Data Protection Qualification, please book on our 5 day Certificate in Managing Data Protection Compliance course.
This one-day course presents practical exercises about the role of the Data Protection Officer, key responsibilities and actions of the role; covering an introduction to privacy law, the GDPR articles; Designation of DPO, Tasks and Position of DPO. Exercises covering the importance of accountability and transparency. Looking at the difference between implementation and advice/inform and monitor. How to avoid conflict of interest and how to manage a difference of opinions.
The Data Protection Officer (DPO) has a statutory basis in the General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) and the Data Protection Act 2018. The Data Protection Officer will be the person staff approach for advice and guidance and it is their job to make sure the organisation stays on track with their data protection compliance program.
The Article 29 Working Party details that Data Protection Officers (‘DPO’s) will be at the heart of the legal framework for many organisations. Under the GDPR it is mandatory for certain controllers and processors to designate a DPO. This is the case for all public authorities and bodies (irrespective of what data they process), and for other organisations that – as a core activity – monitor individuals systematically and on a large scale, or that process special categories of personal data on a large scale.
9:45 – 10:00
10:00 – 11:30
- Introduction and History to privacy law
- Legal Framework – General Data Protection Regulations & Data Protection Act
- What is your privacy Appetite, Key roles for DPO
- Allies or Enemies – Internal divisions
- Privacy roles – more than just a DPO
- What legal types of data? What is Personal and Sensitive?
- Who does the Law effect?
11:30 – 11:45
11:45 – 13:15
- Designation of DPO
- When do you legally have to have a DPO? and the Pro’s and Con’s
- Who should be a DPO?, What professional experience does the DPO need?
- Expert knowledge, DPO Qualities, Skills & Expertise
- Publication & Communication of DPO’s contact details
13:15 – 14:00
14:00 – 15:00
- Tasks of DPO
- What is a DPO liable for? What is a DPO responsible for?
- Implementation vs Advice
- Cooperating with the supervisory authority and acting as a contact point
- How might DPO monitor compliance?, Position of Data Protection Officer
- When should the Controller should seek advice of DPO?
- What are a DPO’s Roles and Responsibilities? Necessary resources
- DPOs must not be instructed on? DPOs must not be instructed on
- What is Conflict of Interest? Data Protection Impact Assessments
- Dismissing or Penalising a DPO Facebook
- Cyber Security
15:00 – 15:15
15:15 – 16:15
- Where to begin? Privacy management Programme OR GDPR Compliance Project?
- Diagram – steps to take when establishing a programme
- Management systems BS10012 and ISO 27701
- Complete Regular Audits
- What the DPO did next?
16:15 – 16:30
Who should attend?
This course is for Data Protection Officers or any staff that work or are associated with the Data Protection Officer role.
Suggested Follow on Courses
Book more than one course and receive a 10% discount.
Will I get a recognised qualification?jacqueline2021-01-22T14:17:00+00:00
As part of our accreditation with the CPD accreditation group, you will receive 6 or 12 CPD points for each course attended.
The Certificate in Managing Data Protection Complaince is the second qualification of a suite of 3 data protection qualifications.
Do you offer any course discounts?jacqueline2021-01-22T14:17:13+00:00
Yes we offer a 10% discount for the primary delegate if you book more than one person from the same organisation at the same time.
We offer 20% off on selected course for promotional offers.
What happens if the course is cancelled?jacqueline2021-01-22T14:17:37+00:00
To try to avoid cancelling face to face courses, however if the number of delegates is below 5 we will offer this a virtual course instead.
See full terms and conditions.
When will I be advised of the venue location?jacqueline2021-01-22T14:17:49+00:00
Exact location are sent out via email, two weeks before the course, we would therefore advise you not to book accommodation until the venue is confirmed.