The Data Protection Officer (DPO) has a statutory basis in the General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) and the Data Protection Act 2018. The Data Protection Officer will be the person staff approach for advice and guidance and it is their job to make sure the organisation stays on track with their data protection compliance program.
The Article 29 Working Party details that Data Protection Officers (‘DPO’s) will be at the heart of the legal framework for many organisations. Under the GDPR it is mandatory for certain controllers and processors to designate a DPO. This is the case for all public authorities and bodies (irrespective of what data they process), and for other organisations that – as a core activity – monitor individuals systematically and on a large scale, or that process special categories of personal data on a large scale.
This one-day DPO course presents practical exercises about the role of the Data Protection Officer, including the key responsibilities and actions of the role. The course covers an introduction to privacy law, the GDPR articles, the Designation of a DPO, and the Tasks and Position of DPO. This course includes exercises covering the importance of accountability and transparency. We will look at the difference between implementation, and advice/inform and monitor. It also covers how to avoid conflict of interest and how to manage a difference of opinions.
What you will learn from the course:
- Understand the History of Privacy Law.
- Understand the UK GDPR and Data Protection Act 2018 and associated legal frameworks.
- Learn about Controller and Data Processor, the relationships and relevant compliance obligations with the law.
- Learn about the methods for international data transfers
- Understand the role of the Information Commissioner as the UK Regulator
- Complete scenarios and exercises covering course topics
The day will cover the following topics:
- Introduction to Privacy Risk Management and the laws
- Overview of UK GDPR
- Overview of Data Protection Act 2018
- Types of data including personal and special category data
- Controllers and Data Processors and the relationships
- Principles, accountability and informing others (Privacy Notices)
- The legal (lawful) basis, Individual’s rights and legal recourse
- Obligations for compliance including Record of Processing Activities (RoPA) and Data Protection Impact Assessment (DPIA), ensuring Privacy by Design
- Security and Breaches
- International Transfers and Adequacy Decisions
- Safeguards, Derogations and impact of Brexit
- Regulator’s Powers; The Information Commissioner’s Office
- Supporting information.
Who should attend?
This course is for Data Protection Officers or any staff that work or are associated with the Data Protection Officer role.
Suggested Follow on Courses
Book more than one course and receive a 10% discount.
Will I get a recognised qualification?jacqueline2021-01-22T14:17:00+00:00
As part of our accreditation with the CPD accreditation group, you will receive 6 or 12 CPD points for each course attended.
The Certificate in Managing Data Protection Compliance is the second qualification of a suite of 3 data protection qualifications.
Do you offer any course discounts?jacqueline2021-01-22T14:17:13+00:00
Yes we offer a 10% discount for the primary delegate if you book more than one person from the same organisation at the same time.
We offer 20% off on selected course for promotional offers.
What happens if the course is cancelled?jacqueline2021-01-22T14:17:37+00:00
To try to avoid cancelling face to face courses, however if the number of delegates is below 5 we will offer this a virtual course instead.
See full terms and conditions.
When will I be advised of the venue location?jacqueline2021-01-22T14:17:49+00:00
Exact location are sent out via email, two weeks before the course, we would therefore advise you not to book accommodation until the venue is confirmed.
Pre Paid Option
If you have a training budget and have not yet identified your organisations broad training requirements our prepayment option may give you the flexibility you require as we can offer the facility to purchase places in bulk on our All You Need to Know Courses without the need to choose which courses at the time of purchase. This can be a much more cost effective way of training.
Contact us for more information